SHIKO Sumo's Fundamental Perfected Exercise
by Nao Sakata (Former Head Coach of Rikkyo University Sumo Team / Inventor of Flexcushion)
SHIKO Level 1 for beginners
Easier if your narrow the distance between your feet.
SHIKO Level 2
Widen the distance between your feet, and this is the style Sumo Wrestlers normally do.
Basic Postures for Sumo Exercise
- Before starting SHIKO exercise, warm-up yourself by stretching around pelvis & hip！ cf) Recommended stretching down below this page
- Try to do SHIKO exercise regularly Ex) 10-20 times a day.
- Feet,45-50 degrees open.
- Some space between heels.
- Weight on roots & balls of thumbs
- Athletic position
- Knee & toe face same direction
- Relax your upper body, place hands on knees
- Armpit closed
Looking from side...
- Spince vertical on pelvic
- Squeez your abdomen
- Pull your chin
- Look ahead 3m
(Note) Inncorrect posture
- Not athletic position... Spine rounded
- Spince not vertical on pelvis
- Tension on upper body
SHIKO the fundamental Sumo Training
CONCEPT Gain more flexibility around hip-joint by moving pelvis forward & backward. Do the workouts in the bellow order.
- (1) "Bigger muscle first" (such as adductor muscle, hamstrings...)
- (2) "Smaller muscle second"
- Make a rectangle
- Pull your chin, look ahead 3m
- Toes 45-50 degrees open
- Shift weight on povit foot
- Extend your knee of pivot leg
- Naturally the other leg goes up *INHALING
＊Do NOT lift your leg.
Extend pivot knee, and naturally the other leg rises. Spine always straight.
- Extend yr knee of pivot side
- Stop at the top for 1 second
- Spine always straight
- It is OK that the knee of The rising leg is bent
Exhaling, landing from toe, slipping 5cm outside
Back to BASIC POSITION
Then, the other side.
one time left, one time rigtht, and repeat left and right
Recommended = about 20 to 30 times a day.
Recommended Stretching as Warm-up
CONCEPT 15 minutes basic workouts. Easy stretch workouts. Even while watching TV, you can do it.
Stretch Easily and Effectively!
Inner Thigh Stretch
Hamstring Stretch *exhale when bending
To right & left *exhale when bending
Health Clubs, Pilates Studios・16 Professional Baseball Teams + over 250 players, 15 Professional Soccer Teams, Olympic Sprinters, Hammer Throwers, Synchronized Swim Teams, Figure & Speed Skaters, Judo & Karate Dojos, Golfers, Track & Field Teams, PerformBetter, Medco Sports Medicine, Dr. Don Chu's Athercare Fitness & Rehabilitation, Mike Boyle's MBSC, Yoga Studios, Professional Athletes (Football, Basketball, Hockey, Ski, etc.)